Thursday, July 21, 2016

Milk and Butter


English is the national language of Nigeria, which is a huge blessing. To be able to read signs and be understood is one God’s biggest blessings to me right now. But there is still the challenge of understanding. There are 200+ tribal languages that are also spoken and the local pronunciation is more British than American. So, there are times when there is still a language barrier.
One of the biggest challenges for the girls has been the food. Thank goodness we are staying at a hotel that caters to Westerners. The girls have been living on spaghetti, pizza, lasagna and Pringles. Which is great, until you get to breakfast.
An amazing breakfast buffet is included with our room and J-bug and Peanut have found things that they like. J eats a croissant and a pile of bacon. R eats hard boiled eggs and toast and my middle eats, watermelon…when she likes it…which is hit or miss.
To try to get her more protein, I take a shaker cup with protein powder and fill it up with milk at the cereal station. I feel a little awkward doing it, a little nervous that I’m going to be stopped, but it’s worth it for my girl.
On Tuesday, I was filling up the shaker when a server came up to me and said, “why are you taking all my milk?” I’d been caught! My first instinct was to apologize, but then I decided to try my new favorite phrase, “I’m sorry, I don’t understand.” She repeated herself two more times and I finally figured it out.  She hadn’t reprimanded me for taking the precious milk she actually said, “Did you ask me for butter?” Butter? “No, no I didn’t. Thank you.” She left and I went back to our table with the protein shake and a smile.
Listening is an art and what I hear is not always what was said. Now, if I can just remember this in parenting.

No comments: