Thursday, August 28, 2008

Car Seats

In the next 4 months we will drive from Colorado to Virginia and then all the way to Monterey, California. That's alot of time in the car, strapped into car seats. I have been thinking about getting the girls different carseats. Right now we have Graco seats.We have liked them, but Jenna's especially is more of a carseat/booster. It doesn't have a lot of padding. Sophie's is a hand-me-down from Jenna. There not bad I'm just wondering if getting better ones would make a difference. I was thinking about Britax seats. I know that they are top of the line for safety and they look so comfortable, but they are also expenssive. I welcome any comments.

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

We just upgraded Rebecca to a Britax Frontier from the Britax Roundabout a few weeks ago, because she outgrew the Roundabout. We got Britax for the safety ratings, but I don't know how it really compares to others as far as comfort. We have been pleased with both of them. Rebecca can make it four hours with only one stop in the middle, but I don't know if that would be any different if she had a different car seat. I think the entertainment and food options available to toddlers in the car make more of a difference than the car seat, as far as their happiness level goes.

Lisa said...

I agree with Elisabeth on the comfort issue -- since they can't really tell us if they're comfortable, I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. I've never heard of the Frontier. Sophia is in a britax decathalon and she is the one who doesn't sleep in the car! I just bought a graco nautilus (3 in 1 car seat, they say its the last car seat you'll ever need), to replace the convertable seat Charlie is in. It LOOKS comfy, but who knows. I don't think any kid is going to ENJOY driving across the country. No matter how comfy. Britax are really safe supposedly too. I don't know if it'd be worth buying new seats though. Do they ever fall asleep in their car seats now?

Half A Dozen 4 Me said...

Corrie, I am a huge fan of Britax. Awesome Safety ratings, comfort and really easy to install. I have been blessed with 2 that were given to me, we have the Marathons. You can find a gently used one on Craigslist, but look at the manufactured date. They are only good for 6 years. The ones I have go up to 65lbs, so they would work for both of your girls, but Elizabeth is 3 too and I have been considering a high back booster with 5 point harness, like the Regent just because it will last until she grows out of the booster. These are huge though and they take up a lot of the seat. You could try it out at Babies R Us, they should let you try it in the car. It would be really hard to get 3 carseats across one bench, but you just have to try them all out. Also, just learned this tip. Bed Bath and Beyond carries Baby items now and I've been told that you can buy online, bring in the invoice to the store with your 20% off coupon and get the price adjustment. I would call just to make sure, but that would be a huge savings. Anyway, my recommendation is that if you can afford it, I would go with the higher end seat.

Click these links or copy and paste, but they are for the BBB seats Marathon and Regent.

http://tinyurl.com/6n3ywd
http://tinyurl.com/68vtfl

Roundabout would be too small for Sophie too, it would work weight wise, but the seat is smaller overall. The Decathlon is the nicer version of the Marathon, it has alot more padding and costs more. We had tried the Decathlon for Levi and I felt it was too much padding and made the seat too tight for him, the seat itself had enough and would have been fine without it.

Hope that helps, congrats on the contract!

Aimee

april said...

hey, your mom told me last night that you had blogged about this. we found a Britax Bulevard w/ a manufactured date of June 2008 in an unopened box for $217 last night. There was also a floor model for $209. we were thinking about Britax or Radian. Britax claims to have side-impact protection, but doesn't release the specific data from crash tests. Radian can fit 3 across in most cars and releases their safety info. We were looking for a car seat that rearfaces to 35lbs (highest weight limit in American-made carseats this year).

april said...

i forgot that i found this code on Baby Cheapskate.

"This tip for military families came from BC reader Karen: AAFES.com is running a big sale on Britax and other car seats on their website right now. Take 20% off your order with code 82adhotm20. The other code is 888pcr3 for 15% off."