It was a long day, but we made it! On Tuesday morning everything was going smoothly until I went to start my car and the battery was dead! Uggg. I calmly searched for the jumper cables and attempted to jump a new car (the Pilot) from a new car (the Mini Cooper). The Cooper is set up really weird and after 5 minutes of looking I had to call my dad and ask him to Google the location of the lever to pop the hood. It was on the passengers side to the bottom right of the glove box!
The girls were hysterical by this point because they were strapped in their car seats for safety and had no idea why I was running around lifting and slamming hoods. So we made it out half an hour later than planned, but still with just enough time to make it to Denver for our flight. We stopped to pick up Mark (who was going to drive us) and the car died again. This time we couldn't get it to start, so we moved everything (two suitcases, a double jogging stroller, two car seats etc.) to his Honda Civic and we were finally on our way to the airport.
By this point I knew that there was no way we would make our flight. I also knew the the airline is required to rebook you if you arrive within two hours of your original flight. We arrived at the same time that our flight was taking off. The next direct flight was 4 hours later. So we ate lunch with Mark and then headed to security. That is when the "princess moments" started happening. Those moments that God reminds you that he loves you.
First, there was almost no one in line. Then they let me push my double stroller through the wheel chair access instead of having to fold it up and attempt to put it through security. The girls walked through the metal detector on their own and without out a fuss. Then, even though I had absentmindedly packed a bottle of bubbles that clearly exceeded the 3 oz. limit the kind security man let me keep them (as long as I promised not to do it again :) ), because he has three grandchildren that "love their bubbles."
For the next two and a half hours we explored our terminal, ate frozen yogurt, played with bubbles and listened to music on my ipod. The girls even fell asleep in the stroller about 40 minutes before the flight as I circled the terminal! They were angels on the flight and the 2 1/2 hours went by relatively fast.
So we are here, soaking up the California sun and spending almost as much time outside in three days then the entire spring in Colorado.
1 comment:
wow, Corrie, what a crazy travel story! I'm so glad that you finally made the flight and are safe in LA! When you're back in town we'll have to get together and go to the zoo or a park or something.
Post a Comment