The girls and I arrived yesterday afternoon and we all came right to the hospital. Denise knew us and was so happy to see us. The girls did great, especially Jenna. She hugged Denise and cuddled with her in bed a little bit.
Most of her conversation doesn't make sense, but we all try to figure out what she is referring to and can usually do it. Her lack of mental stability is a result of the swelling on her brain. The doctor has confidence that the chemo shrinking the swelling and lymphoma will bring her mind back. She is struggling alot with short term memory loss and orienting herself to know where she is, who is with her and why.
She is going to start having chemo treatments every 2 weeks so that the lymphoma doesn't have a chance to start growing again. Along with this her white blood cell count is low, which is not something that her body would have to reproduce on its own. There are also a handful of other things that could change for the worse at any time although I don't understand them.
So for now we just wait patiently and enjoy this time we can all have together. I had a very precious time with her yesterday. I helped her eat lunch and it was just Sean and I with her in the room. She knows my name, which she hadn't before and looks at me with the love of a mother. Last night when we were all leaving she called me out specifically to make sure that I was coming back. That was very special for me.
She is laughing and joking and isn't in any pain. At this time she doesn't have enough strength or balance to stand on her own. All 4 of her siblings are here along with her parents. We are quite the party room on the oncology floor. :)
In a couple hours we are going to have a joint birthday party for Jenna and Denise. Both guests of honor are really looking forward to it. Sean and I also put together a slide show last night with an assortment of pictures of Denise's life. She has enjoyed watching it over and over. She doesn't ever remember that she has seen it before.
Sean is doing well. He is very grateful to have me here. I am doing well. I am very grateful to have my mom here to be with the girls so that I can take off my mommy hat for a little while and give all my focus to being a supportive wife and loving daughter-in-law.
2 comments:
Thanks for the update. My heart goes out to all of you and all the Castles. Hug Denise for me.
You are all heavy, heavy, heavy on my heart. I'm so glad it worked out for mom to be there. I'm still amazed at that ticket. I love you and I'm praying for you all.
Post a Comment