Sunday, April 26, 2009

Little Tips That I Have Picked Up

The other day I realized that there are a handful of tips that I have picked up recently that might be helpful to others. If you have practical tips to add I welcome comments.

"You get what you get and you don't get upset."
I up picked this phrase from Kate Gosslin on an episode of John and Kate Plus 8. My girls had been whining a lot about not getting what they wanted and not wanting what they get. I started using this phrase with a very calm steady voice and it really helped. Now they either finish the phrase for me, or remind each other without me saying a word. It's great. Thanks Kate!


Water Color Cup
Use the covered kiddie cups that you get at restaurants to provide water for your little artist while reducing the risk of spills. The paintbrush fits perfectly through the hole for the straw.Bed in a Bag
To keep sheet sets together use one of the pillow cases as a bag to hold the top and bottom sheet and the other pillow case.
Staples "Easy Button"
This idea we got from our friends John and Joanna, who got it from their girls' preschool teacher. We let the girls hit the button when they obey quickly or go above and beyond. They get the biggest kick out of hearing, "that was easy" and sometimes it is the extra motivation they need to get moving.
Coat flip
I saw a video clip of this a couple of years ago. It has been a big help in our house.




Pizza cutter
- use it to cut kid size bites of pancakes, waffles, spaghetti etc.

Laundry Bag- while we were living with the Barnes the washer and dryer seemed to be going day and night. Sometimes the person who started a load wasn't around to transfer it to the dryer. Instead of trying to guess what needed to be air dried we put things that should not go in the dryer in a mesh laundry bag with a drawstring. I have continued to use this tip back home so that I don't have to pick through each load of laundry.

Laundry Soap - I got this recipe from Judy Barnes. It turns out to cost about 2 cents a load and I have LOVED it.
Ingredients:
Fels Naptha bar soap (or Zote or Ivory) Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda)20 Mule Team Borax Homemade Laundry Soap


Recipe:1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above ½ cup washing soda ½ cup borax powder ~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~ Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load. Optional: If you want your soap to have some sort of scent you can scent this with ½ to 1 oz. of essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice. **A few things to note about the soap** ~The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look. ~The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.

4 comments:

Rebecca Price said...

This post made me laugh because it made me realize that you and I (and the Gosslins) live in very different parts of the country. I read "You get what you get and you don't get upset" about three times before I could figure out how it was supposed to "roll off the tongue." You see, the Texas version that I learned last year as a new teacher (and use constantly) is "You git whatcha git and don't throw a fit!" All I ever have to say is "You git whatcha git..." and the kids all chime in "and DON'T THROW A FIT!"

Your version seems to be the more educated way to say it, but I think the "don't throw a fit" at the end of the Texas version sure does add some needed emphasis :)

Heather of Troy said...

Okay...my favorite is the coat trick, maybe just because the demonstration was so cute. Thanks for all the tips. I love the laundry bag trick and I'm going to try the soap as soon as I run out of my huge Sam's All Free and Clear.

Krista said...

I have a lot of cheap chopsticks...the ones that pull apart from each other...I use them to stir things. I might want to stir up some tea, or some chemical concoction (like that laundry soap) or something. I grab a pair of chopsticks and off I go. They're also pretty useful in the classroom (this I learned in Hawaii!).

Lisa said...

Awesome tips Corrie! Love the coat trick -- she is growing up! I like suds -- and scents. Don't know if I could give them up! All of the ideas are so great, keep them coming!